How to provide services in Norway

If you want to provide services in Norway for a limited period of time, there are various rules to comply with. Use the arrow menu to see the steps you must complete as a foreign service provider.  

You must register your enterprise

Everyone engaged in business activities in Norway, temporarily or permanently, must be registered in the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities (Enhetsregisteret) and, if applicable, the Register of Business Enterprises (Foretaksregisteret). 

Norway has freedom of establishment. Consequently, you don’t have to be a resident in Norway to be able to register a business.  

Norwegian Registered Foreign Business Enterprise (NUF)

If you are already running a business in another country and is preparing to take on a contract in Norway, the most expedient thing to do is often to register your foreign business enterprise in Norway (NUF). A NUF is a division of your foreign business enterprise, and it is the foreign enterprise that is responsible for the business activities in Norway.

This Norwegian division, however, must comply with Norwegian regulation in the same way Norwegian enterprises do. No equity is required to establish the division, but if registration in the Register of Business Enterprises is required, a registration fee will apply.

Sole proprietorships

In sole proprietorships, the owner is fully liable for the enterprise’s obligations and debts. No equity is required for sole proprietorships, and registration in the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities is free of charge

Other forms of organization

There are other forms of organization available to those who wish to establish a permanent business in Norway.

You do not have to be a Norwegian resident to establish a permanent business, nor are there any requirements for how long the business has to be in operation. You can read more about establishing a permanent business at Altinn Start and Run Business.